Pages

Monday 17 October 2016

Weary Night-time Blues

Once again staring with red-rimmed eyes at my computer when i ought to be examining the inside of my eyelids, sleep my elusive friend is staying out of reach.

The photograph of a full moon on a cloudy night was taken from my bedroom window about a year ago.

Why one corner has been 'eaten' is a mystery.

When my library book fails to hold my attention and sleep is impossible I often look out at the night sky to see whether it is doing anything interesting.

Tonight the cloud cover is thick and the darkness intense, nothing to photograph.

If I could clear my head of this morning's anthem (I mean yesterday morning's anthem) it might be possible to sleep, but Purcell's "Thou knowest Lord" is careering round on a loop.

It's a strange thing, but often a piece of music I only half know will present itself  note-for-note when I am trying to sleep, yet when I do sleep and wake again it is once more full of errors and missing 'bits'.

Insomnia is a common theme in my blogs, a part of my life which I should really take for granted since it has been going on for most of that life, yet I still feel cheated when someone talks about their usual 8 hours sleep a night.

It is of course perfectly possible to function normally on too little sleep (despite the black bags under the eyes) and many people manage on half the recommended amount, but it surely must have some long-term detrimental affect?

I remember as a child being told to "go to sleep", as though it were something one just 'did', like tying shoelaces or combing one's hair.

For some children the words seem to act like an on/off switch, but not for me.  Not then and not now.

All the tried and trusted remedies have over the years been found ineffective and I've run out of ideas of my own, so, if anyone knows a magic formula will they please attach it to the tail feathers of an owl and point it my way.

Sleep well lucky people.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ray I am sorry you are lying awake....my solution when the over active brain is still examining my day is simple...a scotch at bed time sends me off promptly...It's may not be good for me but it works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find any alcohol will send me to sleep, but only for about an hour. Of course i am not supposed to drink and take my PD medication so try not to.
    Quite honestly Jean I don't think there is anything left for me to try but am always open to ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take to reading - usually a "heavy" biography or philosophical work. The more obscure the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It hadn't occurred to me to bore myself to sleep Freda. That might not be a bad idea. Will give it a go next time I'm 'becalmed'. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete