Pages

Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter Burnout

This has been for me a wonderful Easter.  Full of new experiences and discoveries.

Maundy Thurday was the most poignant and really penetratingly moving service I have ever been involved in. Even given that being in the choir means some parts of every service lose their personal touch because of the need to be 'busy'.  The silent  vigil in the Lady Chapel with its wonderful flowers and lit only by candles was the first (and possibly the only) time in my life when I have actually felt a 'presence'.  The feeling will haunt me and stay with me for ever.

Good Friday was a memorable service, with all the touches one would expect, but did not move me in any way.

Saturday, by contrast, was a lovely, long, baptisms and confirmations included service, with the Bishop in fine fettle.

Today, the celebration of the risen Christ also included three baptisms, with our (mildy insane) curate prancing about turning it into a true festival of light.  The choir - almost on its knees from exhaustion - was glad of a little light relief, and the easter egg hunt in the churchyard was its usual 'scramble fest'.

My personal journey to this place has been a long one, but oh so very worth the effort.

Also, today I get to eat some dark chocolate for the first time since Shrove Tuesday,  oddly, not such a thrill as usual.  Perhaps the long abstinence has worked a minor miracle.

Time for feet up and eyes closed I think!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Ray. Enjoy your rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Charlie. Easter blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad Holy Week and Easter have been so special for you, Ray. I well remember how tired I always was by the time it was all over, but it's a good tiredness - full of worthwhile achievement. Enjoy your rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, am doing so , thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was neat, feeling that presence, wasn't it? Even if you never have that experience again, you'll always remember. Easter blessings and have a good and well-deserved rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny and Margaret, thankyou both. Yes that few minutes at the beginning of the long silence was utterly magical - sorry about the inadequate word - and it will always be there when I need it.
    My "rest" so far has consisted of an hour's battle with a massive invasive bramble which is choking my old holly tree. Not what I had planned but that's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter Monday - after the fight with the bramble, time for a rest and for enjoying the thankfulness that comes from a journey well-travelled. \Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou Freda. It has been quite a happy Easter Monday. Lots of work in the garden and long rests with chats to various neighbours in between. I find physical activity suits me best in small intensive bursts.
    Quite a lovely easter all-in-all.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thrill to read your post today - Happy Easter Monday to you.. take care, love Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou Judy. Happy remainder of Easter Monday - not much left now but there's the rest of the week too.
    Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou Judy. Happy remainder of Easter Monday - not much left now but there's the rest of the week too.
    Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, what a hectic Easter! Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete